The VP of Entertainment Strategy is expected to be an established and successful entertainment professional with a proven track record of hosting large scale successful events, managing the financials of such events through revenue optimization and expense efficiencies, and facilitating effective communication across all affected departments and stakeholders.
The candidate should have knowledge of the inner workings of the live sports & entertainment industry, frequently attending trade events and conferences and often participating in networking opportunities. The candidate will support the EVP Entertainment Programming (as well as the executive management team) to assess the strategic & financial impact of events, participating in negotiating and finalizing deals, ensuring successful implementation, developing new event opportunities through relationships and industry knowledge, and booking traditional events as time allows.
For all non-tenant events, he/she will be the liaison to the client (e.g., promoter, manager, agent) and responsible for managing all event logistics with a number of different departments within the organization to promote efficiency, communication and cost savings.
To be successful in this role, he/she must be entrepreneurial, self-motivated, even tempered, hard-working, organized, creative and enthusiastic. This position reports to the EVP Entertainment Programming.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Assess the strategic & financial impact of events, providing financial and analytical support to EVP Entertainment Programming; · Serve as the liaison to the client (e.g., promoter, manager, agent) and manage all event logistics for confirmed events, facilitating communication between the client and Prudential Center event management staff, and all other affected internal departments; · Develop and prepare event pro-formas, budgets and forecasts; · Determine event viability and makes recommendations to the EVP Entertainment · Programming & executive management; · Participate in the negotiation and finalization of deals; · Build & develop relationships within the industry and participate in the creation and development of new, innovative opportunities that can be accretive to DAE’s overall portfolio and analyze areas in which to pursue new build/buy/partner opportunities; · Identify and evaluate potential revenue opportunities for events (i.e., revenue maximization & optimization) and risk factors, as well as mitigation solutions; · Participate in the preparation of Programming department’s annual budget; · Work with legal department to maintain contract compliance, tracking, execution of agreements, insurance, invoicing, deposits, etc.; · Create templates and processes for event settlements, event flash reports and weekly event revenue reports; · Oversee financial settlement for all non-tenant events; · Report and interpret event results to senior management; · Book traditional events as time allows; · Liaise with the Prudential Center accounting team relating to event and Programming department finances and controls; · Develop ad hoc financial models & analyses as needed; · Assist with special projects as assigned by EVP Entertainment Programming.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Must have proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and advanced working knowledge of Excel is a must;
· Must possess comprehensive understanding of financial analysis with ability to assess and communicate strategic implications;
· Must be able to exercise sound judgment and discretion in the creation and handling of sensitive and confidential materials;
· Must be able to lead complex negotiations with clients and comfortable in sophisticated business situations;
· Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills: must be comfortable with engaging in a variety of different communicative modes (verbal, non-verbal, and written) and being attuned to others through strong active listening skills;
· Must have the ability to persuade others, build consensus and work in a team environment;
· Must have exceptional interpersonal and problem solving skills;
· Must be able to effectively prioritize, organize, and manage multiple projects simultaneously with varying deadlines;
· Must have the ability to interact, develop, and maintain relationships with individuals at all levels both internal and external;
· Must be a flexible and reliable team player, both within own department and within company as a whole;
· Must have the ability to demonstrate uncompromised judgment and discretion with regard to interpersonal relationships;
· Must have a strong sense of self-awareness and emotional intelligence;
· Must be self-directed, resourceful, and able to work independently;
· Must be able to identify problems, their sources, and their potential solutions while continuing to successfully conduct day-to-day operations without interruption;
· Must have a strong command of reasoned, measured decision-making based upon analyzing the pros and cons of each potential decision to be made.
Educational Background Required:
· Bachelor’s degree, preferably with a concentration in Business, Finance and/or Corporate Strategy;
· Master’s degree a plus;
· Minimum 7-10 years of experience in a financial analysis and/or corporate strategy role;
Live Entertainment and/or Event Management industry experience strongly preferred
Occasional Traveler (less than 15% travel): On some occasions, trips may require air travel and/or overnight stay away from home for one or more nights. Travel likely to include industry conferences, events & music festivals.
This position requires the ability to lift up to 10 pounds.
The VP Entertainment Strategy will be based in the offices at Prudential Center.
Devils Arena Entertainment, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
About Prudential Center
Prudential Center is a world-class sports and entertainment venue located in downtown Newark, New Jersey. Opened in October 2007, the state-of-the-art arena is the home of the National Hockey League’s (NHL) three-time Stanley Cup Champion New Jersey Devils, Seton Hall University’s NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball program, and more than 175 concerts, family shows and special events each year. Ranked in the Top 10 nationally by Pollstar, Billboard and Venues Today, Prudential Center is recognized as one of the premier venues in the United States and around the world, and welcomes 1.75 million guests annually.