Under general administrative direction, the Director of Convention Facilities is responsible for planning, directing, managing and overseeing the activities and operations of the McAllen Convention Center, the McAllen Performing Arts Center and Quinta Mazatlán to include bookings, accounting, maintenance and marketing. Director provides highly responsible and complex administrative leadership and exercises direct supervision over all departmental employees, buildings and services. Director coordinates services with other departments and outside organizations as needed.
1. Job requires a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university with major coursework in Fine Arts, Public Administration, Marketing, Business Administration, Building Construction or a work related field. A Master’s Degree is preferred.
2. Job requires ten (10) years of progressively responsible professional work experience in an area of convention facilities or related field to include five (5) years of administrative and supervisory responsibility.
3. Job requires a valid Class C Texas Driver’s License.
4. Job requires a broad knowledge of administration, operations and maintenance of convention facilities, services and resource management.
5. Must be able to effectively manage and supervise staff.
6. Ability to respond professionally and effectively to inquiries or complaints from outside organizations, customers or citizens.
7. Must be able to establish and obtain operating goals and objectives.
8. Must be customer-service oriented, have a customer friendly attitude and professional appearance at all times.
9. Ability to prepare reports, business correspondence and procedures manuals.
10. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, customers, general public and management.
11. Must be capable of working with administrators, internal departments and staff to maintain a positive image of the division and services provided.
12. Must be able to work effectively under pressure, with stringent schedules and produce accurate and satisfactory results.
13. Must be able to communicate effectively, at all levels, both orally and in writing.
About City of McAllen
Dedicated to consistently providing high quality services and quality of life to all who live, work and visit the City of McAllen.