Broadway In Boston, Boston’s leading theatrical presenter and producer of Broadway since 1984, is seeking a highly motivated, customer service oriented House Manager for the Charles Playhouse. The House Manager will work directly with the Theater Manager to provide a safe and enjoyable experience for patrons. The Charles Playhouse consists of two theatres; the downstairs 200-seat theatre, home to the comedy whodunit Shear Madness and the 500-seat Main Stage Theatre, home to the long-running smash hit Blue Man Group.
Candidates for this position will have at least 1 year experience in a professional office or theatre environment and must be extremely customer service oriented. A 4-year degree in Arts Administration or Management is preferred but not required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Be present for the majority of Blue Man Group and Shear Madness performances.
- Oversee all public areas and operations of the Charles Playhouse in Boston.
- Assist in hiring and training of new Front-of-House staff members as needed.
- Provide leadership and support to the Front-of-House team during performances.
- Scheduling a Front-of-House staff of 35 part-time employees, including assistant house managers, ambassadors, security, guest services, and cleaning staff.
- Execute the weekly payroll and manage all personnel paperwork.
- Understand BFD Fire Safety regulations and maintain the Evacuation Plan and run at least two building-wide evacuation drills per year.
- Ensure that the Front-of-House team has all necessary supplies to perform their tasks. Order supplies as needed.
- Provide direct administrative support to the Theatre Manager of the Charles Playhouse and the General Manager of Broadway In Boston.
- Maintain a high standard of customer service by addressing and resolving all customer concerns, questions, and complaints.
- Answer all incoming disability/access inquiries.
- Complete and distribute the weekly operating calendar.
- Complete daily walk-through’s of the premises and report any safety and maintenance concerns to the Facility Technician and the Theatre Manager.
- Create strong working relationships with all companies within the Charles Playhouse.
- Liaise with production stage management and Theatre Manager to coordinate FOH operations and show policies.
- Work with the Theatre Manager and General Manager to make sure all licenses and permits are kept in good standing.
- Create and submit detailed performances reports.
- Maintain records of staff performance, time and attendance, and payroll.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Theatre Manager or General Manager.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated strong written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office software (Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Sensitivity to the needs of persons with disabilities.
- High degree of discretion dealing with confidential information.
- Ability and willingness to work some early mornings in addition to a standard schedule of evenings and weekends.
- TIPs, First Aid, and CPR certifications are a plus.
About Broadway in Boston
The John Gore Organization is the leading developer, producer, distributor and marketer of Broadway theatre worldwide. Under the leadership of theater producer and owner John Gore, its family of companies includes Broadway Across America, Broadway.com, The Broadway Channel, BroadwayBox.com and Group Sales Box Office. Its productions span Broadway, Off Broadway, London's West End, Japan, Canada and 40 domestic markets. It has won Tonys in every producing category as well as numerous other Drama League, Drama Desk and Olivier awards.