The Director of Sales is part of the senior leadership team of IAVM. This requires leadership, collaboration, and strategic planning for the association as well as the sales department.
The Director of Sales is responsible for developing trade show exhibition, hosted buyer, partnerships, advertising strategies, and sponsorships. Also, importance is placed on Identifying and maintaining key client relationships, while increasing revenues and the awareness of the IAVM (International Association Venue Managers) within the venue industry. This position has oversight of two staff: Business Development Manager and Client Solutions Manager.
IAVM is a professional association and the use of member volunteers are an integral part of membership. It is important that this position integrates the members’ participation when appropriate in a strategic manner.
The Director of Sales will:
• Contribute individually, lead, manage and participate in cross-functional teams
• Contribute to IAVM’s growth and development by executing existing programs and introducing creative ways to enhance the members’ education and networking experience
• Work with sponsors, exhibitors and advertisers to cultivate lasting relationships in support of IAVM events, its membership, and
• Provide guidance on strategic initiatives as identified by leadership.
• Assists the Business Development Manager in prospecting, identifying opportunities, building new business relationships and generating revenue for print, digital, and online products.
• Works with the Business Development Manager to develop, implement, and manage the company's advertising strategy, from a business, sales and technical perspective.
• Develop budgets and projections for advertising.
• Assist in managing the development of sales materials, including media kits.
HOSTED BUYER PROGRAM:
• Ensure that all annual sales goals are met or exceeded. • Provide customer service support and respond to all hosted buyer participant inquiries. • Monitor and track hosted buyer accounts. • Implement phone, direct mail and digital campaigns to support hosted buyer sales in the renewal of exhibit space from previous and new exhibitors. • Establish and maintain personal rapport and relationships with hosted buyer participants.
• Research and identify hosted buyer growth opportunities. • Utilize telephone solicitation, electronic and written correspondence and face-to-face meetings as tools in order to reach and exceed the budget for each conference. • Develop ideas/options to pre-sell hosted buyer for future events.
• Generate revenue through the sale of sponsorship packages for events and programs by targeting various companies, organizations and associations developing sponsorship and exhibitor packages according to client specification.
• Create, package and sell solution-based sponsorship packages. • Focus on developing and maintaining strong relationships with important decision makers at client marketing companies and their respective advertising agencies in a variety of business categories. • Craft sales presentations that creatively and distinctly differentiate and communicate unique assets to targeted prospects. • Educate / position IAVM’s assets and marketing capabilities to the sponsor/ advertiser marketplace. • Structure, price, successfully negotiate and close all deals and arrangements. • Manage sponsor contracts, invoicing, and accounts receivable and develop processes to ensure execution and collections.
• Responsible for working with CFO/COO to create annual budgets, including sales forecasts and expenses. • Ensure that all annual sales goals are met or exceeded. • Utilize telephone solicitation, electronic and written correspondence and face-to-face meetings as tools in order to reach and exceed the budgeted sponsorship target for each conference. • Research and develop a list of potential sponsors for each conference for sales purposes.
• Develop and maintain relationships with existing and potential sponsorship clients and exhibitors. • Keep precise records of communications with all current and potential clients, sponsors and exhibitors. • Update the company database as required. • Assist in preparing promotional material to advertise sales opportunities. • Maintain knowledge of conference timelines and sponsorship deadlines. • Meet with trade and professional organizations and other groups to organize, promote and discuss IAVM conference / trade show services; and professionally represent IAVM at all times.
• Develop annual sponsorship plan, policies and program implementation; foster relationships with key stakeholders and sponsors with whom business alliances have been generated and/or established.
• Research and identify new corporate partners and sponsorship growth opportunities; generate leads and updates list of current partners/sponsors. • Conceptualize, develop, write, and implement partnership/sponsorship proposals for implementation. • Work with IAVM Members to cultivate Global Partnerships.
• Ensure a successful annual trade show as an integral part of VenueConnect (annual conference).
• Ensure that all annual sales goals are met or exceeded. • Provide customer service support and respond to exhibitor inquiries. • Monitor and track exhibitor accounts.
• Implement communication campaigns to support exhibit sales in the renewal of exhibit space from previous year’s exhibitors. • Establish and maintain personal rapport and relationships with repeat exhibitors. • Working with the Client Solutions Manager, research and identify new exhibitors’ growth opportunities. • Utilize telephone solicitation, electronic and written correspondence and face-to-face meetings as tools in order to reach and exceed the budgeted exhibit sales for each conference. • Work with contracted decorator on the design of exhibit hall for upcoming year. • Work with contracted decorator and proper technology platforms on specs. • Redesign floor plan as needed. • Develop strategic booth space assignments to maximize revenues. • Develop ideas/options to pre-sell booth space onsite to exhibitors at VenueConnect for the next year’s show.
• Assist all exhibitors with orientation and education on how to drive maximum ROI.
1. Form strong and meaningful relationships with internal team, specifically the Director of Meetings, Director of Marketing and Director of Education.
2. Understand how the IAVM community works together, getting acquainted with members, sector leaders, alliance partners, sponsors and tradeshow exhibitors.
3. Develop a strategic sales plan to guide the vision and goals of IAVM, specifically VenueConnect and determining additional revenue generating initiatives.
SPECIAL CHARACTERISTICS AND ABILITIES
Ability to identify and implement revenue opportunities that meet the needs of members.
Ability to create partnerships that generate high value propositions for members and the association.
Ability to work collaboratively in a “team” environment.
Ability to prepare effective reports.
Ability to travel and work long, irregular hours as dictated by sales activities and event programming.
Ability to create budgets and forecasts.
Ability to create new revenue generating opportunities.
Ability to communicate well, both written and orally.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with sponsors, clients, associates, staff, and the industry.
Attention to detail.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree required.
Five to seven years of direct sales, sponsorship sales, exhibit sales, advertising sales or business development experience in a service industry or with a non-profit.
Ability to successfully mentor and manage a sales team.
Knowledge in the workings of a membership driven association a plus.
Additional Salary Information: If this could be a great opportunity to extend your professional reach, please respond through the SearchWide Global website or email your resume to the following SearchWide Global Executive: Elizabeth McHeffey
About SearchWide Global
SearchWide Global is a full service executive search firm primarily for companies in the travel, tourism and convention, and hotel and lodging industries. We specialize in C-Level, Director and Management level executive searches for companies ranging in size from Fortune 500 corporations to mid-sized public and private companies.
About International Association of Venue Managers
The International Association of Venue Managers is the world's largest professional association dedicated to issues relevant to the management of public assembly venues. Members of the association manage public assembly venues such as amphitheaters, arenas, auditoriums, convention centers/exhibit halls, performing arts venues, stadiums and university complexes; or provide products, services or attractions to support the industry. IAVM has more than 5,700 members worldwide. More information is available at www.IAVM.org.