This position is responsible for maximizing efficiencies of event operations to insure the successful coordination of assigned events within the Massachusetts Convention Center Authority (“MCCA”), included but not limited to: gathering event information from MCCA clients and client contractors prior to, during and following an event. Have direct event oversight of MCCA Senior Event Services Managers, Event Managers and Event Coordinators. Communicate information to the proper departments within the MCCA, clients and client contractors. Provide on-site follow up during the event. Provide leadership, direction and training for the Event Services Managers and staff. Act as the Lead on major special events as assigned by AGM or GM.
· Provide leadership, mentorship, inspiration and direction to the event services teams.
· Cultivate relationships with department heads, customers, vendors and other service providers.
· Participate and make recommendations regarding the setup, operations, policies and staffing levels at the MCCA’s convention center facilities.
· Monitor and evaluate the operations of the Hynes or BCEC on an event by event basis. When appropriate, consult with the General Manager or Assistant General Manager to implement or improve procedures to enhance the overall quality and efficiency of event operations.
· Oversee the scheduling of assignments of events and delegate to Event Services staff members as appropriate.
· Develop systems to measure client satisfaction at the close of each event, and adjusts services accordingly.
· Following the conclusion of each event, meet with Event Manager to determine any additional services that may need to be addressed or enhanced to increase client satisfaction.
· Solicit, structure, coordinate, present and advise the General Manager on recommendations from facility end users (including meeting planners identified by the MCCA staff, the CMS, and the GBCVB), with the aim of developing ideas and activities to enhance the MCCA’s competitive position, maximize profitability, broaden market share base and ensure MCCA staff (and convention facilities) are responsive to the needs of the convention center market and community.
· Develops success measures, evaluate events against objectives and recommend organizational change as applicable.
· Ensure the needs of the client(s) are met directly and/or through supervision of the Senior Event Services Managers, Event Services Managers and Event Services Coordinators. Partner with the Exhibitor Services team for successful execution of events.
· Oversees updates to the Operational Guidelines issued to clients.
· Direct event activities before, during and following the event to ensure proper set-up and execution of client requests.
· As appropriate solicit the additional services offered by the MCCA.
· Organize and direct Pre-Convention meeting(s) with the client’s representatives and MCCA department representatives to introduce client(s) to staff and departments involved to ensure client’s needs and expectations are met.
· Collaborate with contractors, vendors including but not limited to: rigging, audio visual, cleaning, public safety, etc., to ensure a positive experience for MCCA clients, exhibitors and attendees.
· Collaborate with the sales team as necessary either directly or through the Event Services staff and assist the department to insure proper delivery of information.
· Consult with all levels and departments within the organization as applicable, on events and manage the implementation of services with appropriate personnel.
· Consult with the Superintendent of Building Services regarding services provided by contractors and vendors supplying clients with various services to ensure a successful event.
· Work with the Chief of Public Safety to ensure proper documents are received and reviewed in a timely and efficient manner.
CONTRACTS AND COMPLIANCE
· Possesses knowledge and understanding of contractual language as it pertains to each individual event.
· Communicate pertinent information contained in event contracts.
· Monitor either directly or through managers the activities and operations of the event contractors at the Authority to ensure compliance with requirements and policies of the MCCA facilities as it relates to the physical operation in connection with set-up, exhibition and departures of events.
· Analyze and control expenditures of department to conform to budgetary requirements.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Supervision is provided by the General Manager, and/or the Assistant General Manager and includes assignment of duties, inspection of work, training, coaching, and performance evaluations.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WORK SCHEDULE: The work schedule for this position typically fluctuates based upon the needs of a particular event or project, which would require the ability to work a flexible schedule including late nights, early mornings, long days, weekends and holidays. Required to operate as weekend Manager on Duty, (“MOD”) at least one weekend a month if not more, as assigned by General Manager and Assistant General Manager. Travel to other MCCA facilities may be required.
DRESS CODE: In order to project dignity and decorum expected by the public, appropriate dress and good grooming are expected of all employees
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The General Manager and AGM may designate various other activities. The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time for any reason, including reasonable accommodation.
The Director of Event Operations directly supervises Event Services Staff.
Education / Experience
Bachelor’s degree and five to seven years of progressive experience within the hospitality/convention meeting industry, with three years in a supervisory capacity coordinating major, complex events, trade shows, public events and meetings in a convention center or hotel/convention center or similar private or public facility. A combination of education and experience may substitute for degree; must be an effective manager in a customer-focused environment and strategic thinking. · Must be an energetic, forward-thinking and creative individual with high ethical standards and an appropriate professional image; a strong manager with sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgment and strong operational focus. · A self-directed individual who can lead teams, is articulate and can relate to people at all levels of an organization and possesses excellent communication skills. · A good educator who is willing to share information and serve as a mentor. · A well organized individual who is a team player, and can relate to people at all levels of an organization, possesses excellent communication skills, flexibility and is committed to the MCCA’s Mission.
About Massachusetts Convention Center Authority
The Massachusetts Convention Center Authority (MCCA) owns and oversees the operations of the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center (BCEC), The Lawn On D Powered by Citizens Bank, Lot On D, the John B. Hynes Veterans Memorial Convention Center, the MassMutual Center in Springfield, Mass. and the Boston Common Garage. The BCEC and Hynes have earned a rare gold standard from the International Association of Congress Centres (AIPC), making Boston only the fourth city in North America and the 12th worldwide to have been awarded this top standard, the highest certification level a convention facility can achieve under strict AIPC guidelines.
In 2016, the MCCA hosted 255 events at the BCEC and Hynes with 762,521 attendees, generating 562,839 hotel room nights and $740 million in economic impact.
The MCCA's mission is to generate significant regional economic activity by attracting conventions, tradeshows, and other events to its world-class facilities while maximizing the investment return for the residents and businesses in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.