UC Merced Recreation and Athletics is charged with providing a dynamic recreational and fitness experience for students, staff, and faculty as well as guests and special programs affiliated with the campus. The Athletic Game Operations Manager supports this mission through providing game operations planning and athletic event supervision for events conducted by the Recreation and Athletics Department and those conducted by facility rental clients.
The Athletic Game Operations Manager must have a very clear understanding of the following areas of emphasis: athletic event management, special event management, customer service, and attention to detail. Prior experience managing and producing collegiate athletic events and large-scale events required. This position reports directly to the Assistant Director of Operations.
* Provide for supervision and staffing of athletic events and special events hosted by the Recreation and Athletics Department.
* Develop game scripts and timelines for athletic games.
* Oversee and manage in game athletic promotions.
* Recruit, hire, and train student staff to support events.
* Schedule and direct student staffing for event set-up, supervision, and tear-down.
* Oversee ticket operations and athletic concession sales staff for intercollegiate athletic events.
* Serve as the custodian of cash funds for the Recreation & Athletics department.
RESERVATIONS AND SPECIAL EVENTS
* Manage all reservations for Recreation and Athletics department facilities.
* Work with student groups, campus departments, and outside clients to schedule meetings, events, and activities within Recreation and Athletic facilities.
*Work with student groups, campus departments, and outside clients to schedule equipment to support events and activities within Recreation and Athletic facilities and across campus.
* Provide detailed record keeping related to staff hours worked, event details, and needs.
* Process event billing for non-departmental events.
* Approve student time sheets following campus deadlines.
• Bachelors degree in related field and 2 years of related experience or an equivalent to 6 years of related experience/training required.
• Masters degree preferred in Sports Management, Athletic Management or related field.
• Demonstrated experience managing large scale sports events required.
• Demonstrated experience managing a large student staff required.
• Demonstrated experience managing and producing collegiate athletic events required.
• Demonstrated experience with cash handling required.
• Attention to detail in record keeping required.
• Must be able to successfully pass FBI and DOJ Criminal Check required.
• Has knowledge of program activity and industry best practices required.
• Strong service orientation, program management, sound judgment and decision-making, critical thinking, develop original ideas, creative problem-solving skills in a varied and challenging environment required.
• Prior experience with Active Net, Fusion, or other electronic recreation management Point of Sale System preferred.
• Must be proficient in the use of basic computer applications required.
• Must have demonstrated verbal and written communication skills preferred.
• Client service minded, entrepreneurial spirit and creative thinking preferred.
• Demonstrated leadership and inter-personal skills and the ability to work effectively across the organization, internally and externally preferred.
All applications must be made via the UC Merced Jobs website at:
The University of California, Merced, is the newest of the University of California system's 10 campuses and the first American research university built in the 21st century. With nearly 8,000 undergraduate and graduate students, UC Merced offers an environment that combines a commitment to diversity, inclusion, collaboration and professional development. With bachelor's, master's and doctoral degree programs, strong research and academic partnerships, and community involvement, the UC Merced campus is continually evolving and requires talented, knowledgeable and dynamic educators, researchers, management and staff.
Ranked among the best public universities in the nation by U.S. News and World Report, UC Merced is uniquely equipped to provide educational opportunities highly qualified students from the San Joaquin Valley and throughout California. The campus enjoys a special connection with nearby Yosemite National Park, is on the cutting edge of sustainability in construction and design, and supports the economic development of Merced and the region.
In Fall 2016, UC Merced broke ground on a $1.3 billion public-private partnership that is unprecedented in higher education. T...he Merced 2020 Project will nearly double the physical capacity of the campus by 2020, enhancing academic distinction, student success and research excellence. In 2018, UC Merced opened the Downtown Campus Center, a $33 million, three-story administrative building located in the heart of Merced.